Sunday 19 April 2009

Shakey's MoJo potatoes


As a kid I adored Shakeys, and even more so for their famous MoJo potatoes than the pizzas. Sadly Shakeys seem to have completely disappeared from anywhere near I have been living for the last 2 decades or so, I have been craving for them for so many years... finally I found a recipe to recreate them quite accurately, courtesy of my dear friend jkath from discusscooking !!! Yummers!!


Shakey's Mojo Potatoes

6 large, solid mealy potatoes
2 cups all-purpose flour
pinch of cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon of paprika
2 teaspoons thyme
Salt and pepper
About 1/2 cup milk
Frying oil

Bake potatoes at 200°C for about 1 hour and 15 minutes. Let cool.

Cut each potato into not too thin slices.

Heat oil to 180°C.

Stir together the flour, cayenne, paprika, thyme, salt and pepper to taste. Dip each potato slice into the milk and then dredge thoroughly in the seasoned flour mixture. Deep fry wedges without overcrowding for about 1 1/2 minutes until crisp and golden. Drain on paper towels and serve.

9 comments:

  1. Kak! Thank God, at last u are able to eat Mojo Potatoes again after so long, yaaayyy! And even better, u made this yourself :D This is the first time I've seen this too, and it looks easy enough to make. Maybe I'll try it soon..I just love potatoes! :p

    -Arien Dani-

    ReplyDelete
  2. Licia, These look fantastic. My family used to go to Shakey's Pizza when I was a kid. Thanks!!

    Janelle

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks gals!! Definitely worth a try, it actually brought tears in my eyes when I bit into it lol!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awwww, you cried while eating it, kak? Sooo sweeeett..u must have really missed it :)

    -Arien Dani-

    ReplyDelete
  5. so they never just fryed them? they baked them first? seemd like more work than needed. i could have swore i sat there as a kid and watched them slice then dip then powder then fry hmmmmm???

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, it does seem like an extra hassle, but it also obtains the rich, perfect texture and adds the touch/depth of the baked flavour. If you try you can defo taste the difference, which may well be worth the effort!! You can also save a few extra jacket potatoes when you cook them and use them for this recipe the next day!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I dream of these potatoes. Can't wait to try your recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Why is everywhere posted as mojo? I thought they were called rojo's. They were at my Shakey's when I was a kid. I specifically remember ordering rojo's. Also, when you bake them, doesn't that make them too mushy where you can't dredge them through the flour mixture properly? Also, you say to slice them into thin slices. Then you say dredge the wedges...I remember the ones at Shakey's being little wedges. Which is better/easier? Thanks. I'm anxious to try this, as I've wanted to eat them for a long time!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think the recipe is right, but as far as i remember, mojo potatoes also had a garlic hint. Perhaps adding a little of garlic powder to the recipe will make it perfect.

    ReplyDelete